Monday, August 6, 2012

Pick Up a Book for Read Across America Day!

I am a certifiable bookworm. In elementary school I cherished Fridays because that was our day to visit the library and check out books.

In high school I locked myself in my bedroom with Gone With the Wind and a jar of Jelly Bellies and finished both in three days. Last year I received a Kindle for my birthday and thought the heavens had opened up and granted me a tangible miracle. With today being Read Across America Day, this is probably my version of Mardi Gras.

The National Education Association (NEA) came up with Read Across America Day in 1997 and it is annually held on March 2 because that is Dr. Seuss’ birthday. “Motivating children to read is an important factor in student achievement and creating lifelong successful readers. Research has shown that children who are motivated and spend more time reading do better in school.”

As a former high school teacher I had the privilege of being the Literacy Coach for the Social Studies Department and fully agree with the NEA’s emphasis on the importance of reading. Every Thursday the kids would groan at the thought of the half hour silent reading time on this adjusted schedule day. I would relish the moment that I would have a peaceful room of teenagers, most reading and some sleeping, all having books cracked open upon their desks. I would get a break from being both entertainer and disciplinarian and could lose myself in the pages of a novel.

From a nonprofit’s perspective, the NEA has implemented some brilliant strategies for gaining support and attention highlighting this cause. First of all, they partnered with the company behind Dr. Seuss who is obviously well-known and loved by kids of all ages. Secondly, this year their timing coincides with the release of the movie “The Lorax,” which is also gaining a lot of publicity. Finally, this year’s corporate sponsor is Mazda who has pledged up to $1 million in support of the nation’s public school libraries through a unique test drive program. This is brilliant marketing aimed at both kids and adults!

Now I know that every charity can’t put on the calendar a day to honor their cause, but reading is a broad enough topic for many schools, afterschool programs and children’s organizations to piggy back on. Send out a Facebook post, Tweet your friends and e-mail your donors to challenge them to read. Fundly is the perfect way to reach out to your supporters online and to encourage them to involved their friends. The important thing is to maintain your relationship with your donors and to stay in the forefront.

Does your child have a school fundraising campaign coming up? If so, set up a free fundraising page in minutes with Fundly and begin fundraising online right away with the support of other parents and teachers too!

No comments:

Post a Comment